Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Wednesday, May 24 - Blue Angels Show, Annapolis

Wednesday, May 24 - Blue Angels Show, Annapolis

We had an interesting start to our day.  Yesterday I wrote that we didn't find a great place to anchor.  Turns out it was worse than we thought.  Here is Danny's description.

"With one anchor out, your boat rotates around the anchor with the wind.  Well ... the wrong wind came during the night and we rotated to a shallow area and got stuck in too shallow water.  The pics show the towing service as we are attaching a line to it and then it pulled us to deeper water.  No damage because the shallow area was mostly mud."  Sitting on the boat with absolutely no movement was weird.  Notice the name of the boat - "TOW JAMMIN.'" 








The trip to Annapolis was gray and foggy.  At least the wind wasn't bad. 



We had not seen container ships since Portsmouth.  This one looked really out of place. 


I had read something about a Blue Angels show in Annapolis, and we got to the harbor just in time to see it.  There were hundreds, maybe thousands of boats anchored, ready for the show.  We had to weave through them to get to the marina.  I jokingly said it was like dodge-boat.  You can't really get the effect from the pictures, I tried to get a panorama shot but failed. 


The show itself was amazing.  One of the pictures shows one plane flying right-side up and one right beside it flying upside down. 



We pulled into the marina just as the air show ended.  The boat in front of us at the fuel dock was huge and beautiful.  We found out later that it belonged to Edelbrock, somebody famous for carburetors.  Danny knew exactly who it was, I had never heard of him.  He had a mighty fine boat! 


Bike repair was at the top of my list for Annapolis.  Google maps didn't show anything close to the marina, then Danny suggested calling the closest place and asking if they would pick the bike up at the marina.  The guy said, "Well, we don't usually do that but I will check."  And they did!   When I was giving him my phone number, I only got out the "865" area code, and he said, "Knoxville, Tennessee!!!"  He had lived there for 10 years and obviously misses it.

A young man came by late afternoon and brought the free wheel with him ready to replace it at the dock.  My right brake wasn't working right, so Danny asked him to take both bikes in for brake work. 


The smocked romper for Margaret Ivey Edwards, my new great-niece, is finished and ready for the mail!  I can't wait to see her in it.  It was so much fun smocking again, I may have to make her another outfit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment